Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Banana Split Cupcakes


Banana Split Cupcakes 

Banana Cake filled with a Strawberry Chocolate Ganashe, Plugged with a Thick Slice of Banana, Frosted with a Pineapple Buttercream and Topped with a Maraschino Cherry, Strawberry Chocolate Ganashe drizzle, and Salted Peanuts 



I've seen just about everyone create their own version of this Cupcake, but none of them ever seemed like they would capture the flavor of a true, classic Banana Split. So here, I have put together what I think tastes exactly like an All-American Banana Split sans the ice cream -- but you can always add that on the side ;)

*this recipe yields 12 cupcakes* 

Banana Cake Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large ripe bananas, peeled, and mashed 
**This is a fantastic Banana Cupcake recipe (the batter tastes like banana pudding, yay!). I use it for all my Banana-Based Cupcake recipes. If you really want to up the flavor, roast unpeeled bananas in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
**When I use this cupcake for other recipes, I tend to use less vanilla. A lot of vanilla in this recipe is necessary because you want that vanilla flavor that you sort of miss due to the lack of ice cream... :(

 Strawberry-Chocolate Ganashe Ingredients

  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 small jar strawberry jelly (not preserves)
  • .5 pound bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Pineapple Buttercream Ingredients

  • 3 to 4 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/4 cup crushed pineapple, canned or homemade,  very well drained
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  •  1 to 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
**Personally, I hate buttercream. I can barely tolerate its overly-sweet scent and the I-need-to-brush-my-teeth feeling after you eat it. A lot of times I struggle to create a buttercream that has body, but doesn't taste like pure icing sugar. This recipe really works for me. The acidity from the pineapple really cuts through. With that said, everyone has different taste. My theory is: Buttercream should be eyeballed. Take this base recipe and go from there.

Extras

  • Salted Roasted Peanuts (used sparingly)
  • Maraschino Cherries, drained and rinsed (you don't want maraschino cherry juice ruining your icing)
  • 1 Large Banana
**I didn't use the peanuts in this batch because I made them for a child's class. I wasn't sure about any allergies. I did however use them in another batch and man, it was delicious. It added a nice saltiness and texture difference. 



Directions: 

For the Cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.

In a medium bowl, sift and combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl (or stand mixer), add the butter and the sugar. Beat on high until well combined, about 3 minutes.
Add the sour cream and the vanilla extract.
Slowly beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
Incorporate the dry mixture and wet mixtures together until thoroughly combined. Add the bananas, being careful not to over mix. 
Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner 3/4 way full. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops turn golden-brown and when a toothpick, inserted in the middle of the cupcake, comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the oven to a wire rack and let cool.

For the Ganashe:

While your cupcakes are in the oven, heat heavy whipping cream and strawberry jam together and incorporate well.
Pour over chopped bittersweet chocolate.
Mix and then chill. You do not want to pour warm chocolate ganashe into your cupcake. It will soak into your cupcake and you'll have an empty middle and quite possibly a soggy cupcake.

For the Buttercream:

Cream butter, about 3 minutes. 
Add 3 cups of icing sugar.
Add in pineapple and pineapple juice.
Adjust sugar accordingly.
Chill before frosting.


Assembly:

Once everything is cooled, scoop the middles out of the cake... I use a melon baller. Fill with the ganashe and plug with a thickly sliced banana. Frost cupcake. Top with maraschino cherry, ganashe drizzle, and a sprinkling of peanuts.

Unassembly:)


The banana cake was dense but super moist. The strawberry in the ganashe balanced so well with the chocolate. It was sweet but tangy. That, along with the pineapple buttercream, reminded me of the delicious toppings you have to have on a banana split. And that little chunk of banana... it just added more flavor, texture, and a cute little surprise. 

My brother told me to say that he hates bananas, but he somehow loves this cupcake... 

 
    
Yeah... I'm good ;)

Remember: If you don't feel like making these yourself, or you're worried they just won't turn out the same... You can order some for $25 a dozen. Just leave me a comment or contact me through Facebook!

 

1 comment:

leave me a comment or question!